If you’ve learnt to work with big data as part of a Computing-related Masters this Data Engineering placement will sharpen your technical skills.
Data Engineer ⎜Part of Shell Graduate Programme
Location: Den Haag (The Hague), Netherlands
If you’ve learnt to work with big data as part of a Computing-related Masters this Data Engineering placement will sharpen your technical skills and, as part of our wider IT Shell Graduate programme, bring out your leadership potential.
What you’ll be doing…
You’ll work with our HR and Corporate IT team, one of several specialised Global Functions IT teams who deliver commercially-focused IT solutions that positively impact Shell’s bottom line. You’ll be trained as a Data Engineer. Broadly, the role is to identify what data needs to be gathered for a particular project and deciding on the right way to do it. A good Data Engineer not only knows where to find the right data but also how to extract it in the best format, and how to augment the data to support their colleagues’ data science and analysis requirements.
On this placement, you’ll learn to:
- Develop and deploy innovative ‘big data’ platforms for advanced analytics and data processing – that includes delivering expert SQL development support for colleagues in data and analytics IT working on database design, data flow and data analysis activities.
- Define and build data pipelines that enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making within the business. You’ll gain deep insight into developing enterprise data management strategies including operational data stores, data warehouse implementations, data movement, data services, data acquisition, data conversion, and archive/recovery.
Build a robust, fault-tolerant data pipeline that cleans, transforms and aggregates disorganised/messy data into databases or data sources. We’ll trust you to ensure that data flows smoothly from source to destination so that it can be processed.
What you’ll need…
Alongside a Master’s degree in data science, computer engineering/science, artificial intelligence, mathematics (or a related discipline) you’ll bring us an awareness of working with Agile techniques/technology and excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
Personally, here’s what we’re looking for:
- The ability to cultivate effective relationships with colleagues at all business levels; experience of working in a global business with many different cultures would be ideal.
- Strong communication, influencing and presentation skills, both in person and in writing.
- Self-motivation: you’ve shown you’re proactive and results-focused
You’re good at balancing multiple priorities and hitting tight deadlines, even under pressure.
Technically, you’ll need a strong foundation of working with data techniques, data stacks, and associated programming codes. The more of the following experience you have, the better:
- Microsoft or AWS data stack e.g. Microsoft Azure Data Lake, Hadoop (preferably with Spark), Cosmos DB, HDInsight/HBase, MongoDB, Redis, Azure Table/Blob stores.
- Reporting/visualization tools (e.g. SAP Lumira/Design Studio, Spotfire, Power BI)
- SQL-based technologies (e.g. MSSQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Big data platforms; working with large data sets, large amounts of data in motion and numerous big data technologies including data architecture and design techniques.
Working concepts as data pipelining, data wrangling and data blending technology (e.g. Alteryx).
The Shell Graduate Programme: a world of opportunities.
Join the IT Shell Graduate Programme and you can look forward to an industry-leading two- or three-year learning programme, offering real responsibility, engaging challenges and continued professional development.
There’s never been a more exciting time to be part of the energy industry. Start your career at Shell and immerse yourself in innovative projects to find economically, socially and environmentally responsible solutions to the world’s energy needs. You’ll be learning alongside brilliant people from all over the world, with the resources and support to explore new ways of thinking and working – all in all, an unbeatable experience.
Helping you prepare
We want you to be at your best when completing the assessments, so here are some top tips and some additional background information that may help you. Ace your application prep by reviewing our application tips.
Ready to apply?
Ready to start you journey of discovery with one of the world’s most innovative businesses? Start your application by clicking on the 'Apply' button. Apply to the Graduate Programme and choose IT as you preferred area of interest when being asked for.
Agency calls are not appreciated
Solliciteer op deze functie